Salesforce Tower Chicago
Salesforce Tower Chicago is the latest addition to Chicago’s skyline and concludes the development of the esteemed Wolf Point South parcel along the Chicago River. The Kennedy-family-owned parcel was master-planned by design architect Pelli Clarke & Partners to develop two residential towers to the east and west, with the 60-story, 850-ft tall commercial office tower on the south parcel to anchor the site. The 1.2 million square foot office tower was developed by Hines with aspirations to improve upon common construction practice in their pursuit of reducing embodied carbons. The proactive support of the design team and general contractor, Walsh Construction, led to a nearly 20% reduction in embodied carbon. With a constrained site and minimal access, Walsh delivered all materials through a tunnel built under the adjacent Wolf Point East development in coordination with thoughtful construction staging plans. The presentation will cover these sustainability, construction and other engineering challenges encountered throughout design and construction.
- Attendees will learn to identify opportunities for structural engineers to lead the effort in sustainability and how to track embodied carbon from design through execution.
- Attendees will learn the design challenges of detailing and erecting steel outrigger systems
- Attendees will learn the construction challenges of building on a constrained site
1 CEU will be issued for this event.
Cliff Dwellers Club
200 S. Michigan Ave, 22nd Floor
- Bibb Lettuce and Belgian Endive, Asparagus and Orange and Grapefruit Sections
- 7 oz. Grilled Filet Mignon, served with Baby Artichoke and Béarnaise Sauce
- Served with chef’s appropriate accompaniments of vegetables and starch
- Key Lime Pie
IN PERSON: Member -- $60; Non-Member - $90
Live Streaming: Member - $30; Non-Member - $45
If you register for the in-person event and cannot attend, please cancel before Friday, September 9th. If you do not cancel by that time, please send a colleague in your place, as you will be charged.
Thank you to our Sponsor!
About the Speaker
Matthew Streid, SE
Principal, Magnusson Klemencic Associates
Matt is a Principal at MKA with design experience ranging from low-rise office campus headquarters, to high-rise office developments and mixed-use projects across the U.S. He has applied his expertise to the designs of many signature developments, such as Seattle’s Amazon Block 20, Salesforce Tower Chicago, Boston’s Backbay Station and numerous heavy timber office buildings. Matt is actively involved in MKA’s High-Rise and Office Technical Specialist Teams, the Structural Engineer’s Association of Illinois and in the Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat.