SEAOI is pleased to present a full-day seminar on the topic of Seismic Design of Bridges using AASHTO LRFD.
- AASHTO LRFD Approach to Dynamic Analysis
- Basic Requirements of Structural Dynamics
- Elastic Dynamic Responses
- Inelastic Dynamic Responses
- Analysis for Earthquake Loads
- AASHTO LRFD Approach to Seismic Loads
- Seismic Hazard
- Site Effects
- Seismic Hazard Characterization
- Importance Categories
- Seismic Performance Zones (National/Illinois)
- Response Modification Factors
- Combination of Seismic Force Effects
- Calculation of Design Forces
- Displacement Based Seismic Design
- Brief overview of Displacement Based method
- Comparison of Displacement Based vs. Force Based Methods
- Analysis and Design Example using AASHTO LRFD Approach to Dynamic Analysis
- Analysis and Design Example using IDOT Bridge Manual Approach to Seismic Design (both 1000 years and 500 year EQ)
This course provides 7.5 hours of Continuing Education credit. CE certificates will be emailed to attendees after the class.
1 South Wacker Drive, Suite 900
Chicago, IL 60606
Registration is $415 for members and $515 for non-members.
Registration deadline: Friday, Sept. 29th.
Meet the Speakers
Tony Shkurti, Ph.D., SE, PE
Tony Shkurti serves as a Great Lakes bridge lead engineer and Vice President in HNTB and is a nationally recognized authority in structural engineering. His research includes seismic retrofit of bridge substructures, redundancy of bridge superstructures, bracing systems, fatigue and fracture behavior of steel bridges, infrastructure security risk assessment and mitigation and vehicular impact analysis. He has presented and published in numerous venues.
Johann Aakre, SE, PE
Michael Baker International
Johann Aakre serves as the Bridge and Structure Department Manager for Michael Baker International in Chicago. He has seismic design experience in the Midwest and California. He holds a Master’s Degree in Structural Engineering from UC-Berkeley and a BS in Civil Engineering from The George Washington University.
Mark D. Shaffer, P.E., S.E., Policy, Standards, and Final Plan Control Unit Chief
Bureau of Bridges and Structures
Illinois Department of Transportation
Mark Shaffer is the Bridge Design Policy Engineer for Illinois Department of Transportation (IDOT). He oversees the incorporation of AASHTO policy into IDOT standards and works with other engineers and researchers to determine innovative and cost-effective solutions to bridge engineering issues. He also works with national institutions such as TRB to help maintain the quality and innovation present in the bridge engineering community.