Renovation of an Iconic Chicago Landmark | Tribune Tower Complex
TGRWA served as the SER for the renovation of the Tribune Tower complex, located at 435 N. Michigan in Chicago. The project encompassed the renovation of four major interconnecting buildings totaling 490,000 square feet that extended a full city block, including the iconic Tribune Tower.
Major Architectural design elements requiring structural modifications included:
- Double height retail spaces including removal of large portions of the second-floor structure
- New Courtyard space carved out of two of the existing buildings
- Conversion of lower-level office spaces to a parking garage
- Vertical additions above existing buildings for additional residential space and a new pool enclosure
During the project, TGRWA developed solutions to capitalize on the existing integrity of the structures and to reinforce where needed.
- Discuss the process of evaluating a century-old building including material testing, foundation evaluation, and existing building documentation.
- Discuss evaluating the existing building for new architectural programs that augment the design gravity and lateral loads including augmented load paths.
- Discuss challenges involved with uncovered conditions within an existing building that included decades of now-undocumented structural renovations over time.
1 CE credit will be issued for this event.
Cliff Dwellers Club
200 S. Michigan Ave, 22nd Floor
Chicago, IL 60604
- Caesar Salad tossed with Caesar Dressing topped with Parmesan and Croutons
- Chicken Wellington - Mushroom Duxelles, Rosemary Essence
- Served with chef’s appropriate accompaniments of vegetables and starch
- Carrot Cake
Presentation time: 6:00 – 7:00 pm
Cocktail hour: 5 – 6 pm
Member - $60
Non-Member - $90
Member - $30
Non-Member - $45
FIRST-TIME DINNER MEETING ATTENDEES - If you would like to be partnered with an SEAOI member for the event, please let us know! Email staff@SEAOI.org and we will pair you with a host for the evening.
About the Speakers
David Nickell, S.E. is a Principal at TGRWA, serving as the Project Manager for the Tribune Project. In addition to his work at TGRWA, David has served as a guest lecturer at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign and is a Past President of SEAOI.
Jessica Dineen, S.E. is a Senior Engineer at TGRWA serving as the Project Technical Lead for the vertical additions and major interior renovations of the Tribune Project. Along with her renovation experience, Jessica has designed wood, light gauge, concrete, and steel structures for residential and commercial buildings throughout the country.
Matthew McElmury, S.E. is a Senior Engineer at TGRWA and served as the Project Technical Lead focusing on the building complex’s lateral force resisting systems. Matthew’s experience consists of new and existing construction for residential, hospitality, institutional, and mission critical facilities, both domestically and abroad.
All three are graduates of the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign and are excited to share their experiences on this exciting project.