Mark D. Shaffer of IDOT will explain current and future IDOT policy changes. This will include explanation of the background for the revisions, such as changes in AASHTO design requirements or safety considerations. It also will include a brief overview of the calculations and detailing issues that led to the final policy. Structural engineers who work frequently with IDOT are encouraged to attend.
- Understanding the objectives of recent IDOT policy updates
- Learning the derivations of many standard details and formulas in the Bridge Manual
- Preview of forthcoming design revisions and specification changes
Specific Topics Include:
- Manual for Assessing Safety Hardware (MASH 2016)
- Constant slope parapets
- New steel railing crash testing
- Other (temporary concrete barrier, barrier terminals, etc.)
- Integral Abutment Research and Policy
- Recent Prestressed Concrete Beam Detail and Policy Updates
- Steel Analysis and Details
- Steel Structure Coating Policy
- Guide Specifications for Wind Loads for Bridges under Construction
- Modular Joint Details
- Accelerated Bridge Construction Scorecard
- Noise Wall Design and Detail Policy
- Alternate Jointed Abutment Details
- Conversion of Jointed Abutments to Integral Abutments
- Elastomeric Bearing Updates
- IDOT Seismic Policy Update
- National research update (new maps, performance-based design)
- Displacement-based design
- Prescriptive details
- UIUC research on isolation characteristics of standard IDOT elastomeric bearings
- Illinois earthquake response and recovery plan (brief overview)
Hilton Garden Inn
3100 S. Dirksen Parkway
A continental breakfast and lunch will be provided. CE certificates will be emailed to participants after the event.
Early bird registration is $205 for members and $315 for non-members until 11:59 pm on January 20th. After that rates will be $280 for members and $390 for non-members.
Government Employee Registration is $133. Government Employees shall be from the following organizations:
- Departments of Transportation (City or State), including IDOT, CDOT, ISTHA, etc.
- RTA - Chicago Transit Authority/Metra/Pace
- Chicago Building Department
About the Speaker
Mark D. Shaffer, P.E., S.E., Policy, Standards, and Final Plan Control Unit Chief
Bureau of Bridges and Structures
Illinois Department of Transportation
Mark Shaffer is the Bridge Design Policy Engineer for Illinois Department of Transportation (IDOT). He oversees the incorporation of AASHTO policy into IDOT standards and works with other engineers and researchers to determine innovative and cost-effective solutions to bridge engineering issues. He also works with national institutions such as TRB and NCEES to help maintain the quality and innovation present in the bridge engineering community.