SEAOI’s commitment to protecting the health and well-being of our members, event attendees, speakers and staff is of utmost importance. We have created this page to serve as a comprehensive resource to update our members and the structural engineering community as easily and as quickly as possible. SEAOI will still continue to communicate any changes/updates for events through direct emails to all registered event attendees and speakers, exhibitors and sponsors, on the individaul event pages and this page. Your understanding and flexibility as we navigate this evolving situation is most appreciated. We are committed to serving our membership and the structural engineering community as best as possible, and are grateful for your support.
Events -- week of 1/18/21
SEAOI "Silent" Auction - December 30, 2020
- Bids accepted until Wednesday, December 30, 2020
January 2021 Dinner Meeting - January 5, 2020
- Willis Tower base transformation
- The SEAOI physical office is closed until 2021.
- The best way to contact the office is via email at Staff@SEAOI.org.
While we all navigate this new normal, it's incredibly important to maintain a positive attitude. Below are some resources that will hopefully help you and yours during this time. Work-related resources are in red, and personal-related resources are in blue. If you have recommendations for resources that have been helpful to you and you'd like to share with others here, please email Staff@SEAOI.org. We're all in this together!
- Eiffel Tower Podcast - fascinating!
- The Home Office Handbook -- several articles about making the most of WFH
- Netflix Hacks -- Pandemics were made for binging
- Un-Googleable Items identified -- there's some weird stuff out there, man.
- Building with Paper: Engineering for Kids -- because every day is Bring Your Kid to Work Day now.
- Returning to Work Safety -- how to protect yourself when returning to the office
- Guide for new pet owners: Is Fido ready for the end of social distancing? - a great article for new pet owners who are transitioning back to the office.
- Beyond Crossword
- AIA Re-Occupancy Assessment Tool - insights from our friends at AIA
- Drive & Listen -- missing rush hour traffic? This site allows you to take a drive and listen to local radio stations or the street noises) for cities all over the world.
- New Skills to Learn - you might have missed these average skills in engineering school
- Beyond Crossword: Masked Men -- easier than the NYT Sunday, harder than the NYT mini
- SYGO Risk Estimator -- A Physics-Based Coronavirus Infection Risk Estimator (DISCLAIMER: for informational purposes only - not vetted by SEAOI)
- ... . .- --- .. -- learn Morse Code -- you never know when it's going to come in handy...
- Ergonomically Correct - watch how to set up your desk correctly from an ergonomics expert
- Metropolitan Opera - get your culture on and stream some opera
- Live Cam - visit famous spots around the world, live, from your computer
- Beyond Crossword - quick crossword for a little break in your day
- Hubble Images - What did Hubble see on your birthdate?
- Houseparty - just like you had in high school, but with proper social distancing.
- @RateMySkypeRoom - the Twitter feed we all need
- Beyond Crossword - Complete online -- this week's puzzle is bigger!
- 52 Places, Virtually -- visit the NYT 52 Places to Go
- Indoor Gardening -- whether you want to see if you have a green thumb, or you need a stopgap until you can access your farm, this is a great article for indoor gardening projects.
- Zoom backgrounds -- tired of seeing your same WFH background in all your video calls? Learn how to change your virtual background. So easy even non-engineers can do it!
- Pixabay -- Free video clips to up your Zoom virtual Background
- Dalgona Coffee - Become your own barista and use up the Sanka in your pantry!
- Springfield Update -- update from our legislative monitor 04/14/20
- #WrigthVirtualVisits - enjoy short virtual tours of Frank Lloyd Wright's sites across the nation
- Resources for Illinois Businesses -- Comprehensive list of resources compiled by State Senator Ram Villivalam to help businesses understand the resources that are available as they deal with the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Risk Management for Engineering Firms in a COVID-19 Environment
- Legal Perspective – COVID-19 -- The attorneys that NCSEA works with are offering webinars and guidance on various topics.
- SHRM Coronavirus Resources -- HR resources you may find helpful -- some links are member protected, but other topics can be read by anyone
- The Good Ole Days - An Eye-Popping Salute to the Golden Age of 20th Century Dandyism: Men’s Fashion, circa 1968-75
- Zoom Training Resources -- When you know better, you do better
- Google Arts & Culture -- Perhaps the Internet's BIggest Rabit Hole
- LIVE Web Cam - Baby Bald Eagles. What more could anyone want?
- What room do you want to be in? -- Twitter thread that lets you travel to a room you might rather be in
- Which literary figure are you? -- Open source quiz
- Mini Crossword
- Harvard's Science & Cooking: From Haute Cuisine to Soft Matter Science (part 1) and Yale's Moralities of Everyday Life Shelter-in-Place, but make it Ivy League - Free Ivy League streaming courses might make the SIP medicine go down better.
- Streaming Travel -- 18 of the best travel shows you can stream right now
- NatGeo -- 5 inspiring no-travel experiences
- Goodnight with Dolly - Bedtime stories read by national treasure Dolly Parton
- NASA -- ever thought about being an astronaut? Check out NASA at home.
- Illinois Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) -- You'll find information on state cases as well as links to state and national resources.
- Solo Summit -- free daily live conversations from 12pm to 1pm ET lead by Stephen Warley, founder of Life Skills That Matter, to connect, to collaborate and to clarify about how to deal with your new work reality
- Shed Aquarium Online -- Relax with the Underwater Beauty ive cam
- 52 Tricks to Teach Your Dog -- improve your new co-worker's manners
- Experience the Field Museum at Home -- online resources and great activities for all ages
- Comforting Books -- need a break from the news? The NYT asked several authors for books they turn to for comfort.
- How to disinfect your food/kitchen -- helpful tips in the age of corona
- Battling Screen Fatigue -- we're all looking at screens more
- Best things to Stream with your Kids -- honestly, some of these are good for adults, too
- Isle of Calm - 6 hours of soothing music from NPR -- For when you need a break from your Spotify curated lists
- YouTube Learning Channel - Structural Engineering! -- For you, or your little ones at home. Everything from "A Day in the Life of an SE" to learning the basisc, to how to be a good SE.
- Living your Best Quarantined Life -- comprehensive article covering everythign from staying productive to video call etiquette to parenting and exercising. Really.
- Calm -- A carefully currated collection of free content to support your mental and emotional wellness. Changes often so check back every day.
- Twitter #workfromhome -- we really are in this together.