The Structural Engineers Association of Illinois
announces its Excellence in
Structural Engineering Awards Program for 2015,
the thirty-sixth annual awards event conducted by
Thanks to the generosity of SEAOI past-President
Bill Lavicka and his wife Alys, SEAOI is proud to offer
the Lavicka Award, which is named in their honor.
Projects in this category are those costing below $1
million. With this award category, SEAOI looks to
promote smaller projects which represent outstanding
winners will be announced at the
Dinner on June 6, 2015. Read the
formal invitation, and
RSVP online today!
SEAOI continues its 50th Anniversary celebration at the
Annual Awards Dinner, and we invite you to consider supporting the event. Sponsors at the Gold Level will have the opportunity to support one of the special features of this year's event. Read the
sponsorship letter for more information, or
register online as a sponsor today!
111 West Wacker Expansion, Chicago, IL - Halvorson & Partners, P.C.
- Anthony J. Celebrezze Federal Building (Facade Renovation and Repairs), Cleveland, OH - Thornton Tomasetti
- Cayan Tower, Dubai, UAE - Skidmore, Owings & Merrill LLP
- Cermak-McCormick Place Elevated Green Line Station, Chicago, IL - T.Y. Lin International
- Central Bus Station "208", Hanover, Germany - Werner Sobek Engineering and Design
- Chicago Athletic Association, Chicago, IL - Forefront Structural Engineers
- I-90 (Jane Addams) Bridges over Kishwaukee River, Winnebago County, IL - Ciorba Group, Inc.
- Kline Fitness Center, Dickinson College, Carlisle, PA - CannonDesign
- Lakeside Studio, Lakeside, MI - Sound Structures, Inc.
- Levi's Stadium, Santa Clara, CA - Magnusson Klemencic Associates
- Loyola Halas Hall Addition, Chicago, IL - Halvorson & Partners, P.C.
- The Martin, Seattle, WA - Cary Kopczynski & Company
- TILT at 360 Chicago, Chicago, IL - Thornton Tomasetti
- Viktoria, Seattle, WA - Cary Kopczynski & Company
- Weather Field No. 1, Santa Monica, CA - Skidmore, Owings & Merrill, LLP
Judges for 2015 Competition
Academia - Jamshid Mohammadi, Illinois Institute of Technology
Architecture - Anthony LoBello - SmithGroup JJR
Contractor/Owner - Tim Stone, FHP Tectonics Corporation
Government - John Fortmann, Illinois Department of Transportation, Bureau of Design
Structural Engineering – Stan-Lee Kaderbek, Milhouse Engineering, Inc.
The Structural Engineers Foundation (SEF) is pleased to announce the recipients of
the 2015-16 Scholarship Awards. SEF received twenty-two applications from across the country. This year’s award recipients stood out among this strong group.
The Undergraduate Scholarship is awarded to
Jakob Sumearll of the University of Wyoming in Laramie.
The Graduate Scholarship is awarded to
Bartolini of the University of Notre Dame in
Notre Dame, Indiana.
The Max Zar Scholarship is awarded to
of the Illinois Institute of Technology in
No applications were received for the Rubinos and Mesia Scholarship, so it will not be awarded this year.
Read more about the winners on the
The scholarships sponsored through SEF were established to award excellence and to advance the study of structural engineering. The SEF board applauds all of this year’s applicants, congratulates this year’s winners and looks forward to the contributions they will make in their future careers.
Structures in Fifty Years
SEAOI is asking the design community to nominate significant projects designed by SEAOI members over the last 50 years. Projects can be new construction or structural renovations. Buildings, bridges, industrial and special structures are all eligible. The project need not be located in Illinois, or even the US, but the Structural Engineer must be/have been an SEAOI member.
Nominations are now closed. All submissions will be reviewed and fifty projects will be selected. The list of selected projects will be announced in mid-2015.